Friday, February 1, 2013

Mama Elvis: The 'Shed hotel business model'

Three days ago I had a meeting in an upmarket residence. It was refreshing as I enjoyed the scenery and the sight of men and women at work.

Then I came across a small market, along Ngong’ road and has a footpath that residents of Kibera to go to home. I was tired and decided to have a cup of tea and interact with the small business people working hard to make a living.

I ended up in a small shed (Kibanda) hotel where a woman was seated waiting for her customers. She was happy to see me and eagerly welcomed me. As I made my order and was served very fast. I enjoyed her service and warmness.

Our conversation centered on her work, the business model she has employed, her working hours, her clients and how business was doing. Lastly we talked about her son Elvis who is now 6 Months and 4 days old and who looked happy to see me talking to her mum. Please note that we never talked about our ethnic background where I stay or what each of us earns or even who we are supporting for the elections.

We just talked about the ‘Shed business model’. Here are lessons I believe businesses can learn from Mama Elvis;

a) Know your clients well. Mama Elvis knows that her clients are people working in the upmarket construction sites. She knows their likes and dislikes.

b) Customer service is key. I enjoyed the service Mama Elvis gave, she was warm and pleasant to talk to. I was a complete stranger yet we talked freely. So let your employees spare one or two king words for your clients, it builds relationship. Having a television set is not natural. Clients need a human touch.

c) Make the business environment condusive and attractive. The shed hotel (kibanda) was very clean and quiet, very peaceful and relaxing. Remember there was no air conditioning or plasma screens to watch the latest international news. It was as simple as can be.

d) Know your business model. Mama Elvis model is a ‘Shed Hotel’, nothing more nothing less.

e) Have the right motive. I believe that the primary reason why Mama Elvis wakes up every morning was to add value to her clients. To  ensure that they have enough energy to carry out their tough manual jobs.

f)  Lastly, lets do business for present and future generations. Elvis represents the next generation. It is important that we do ethical and clean business so that future generations have a place to live and earn a descent living.

Tomorrow I shall share some of the things that can be done to improve the ‘shed model’

No comments: